A small area of warped flooring caught my eye after we moved furniture for construction work a year and a half ago. Since my living room backed up to our master shower, I feared another leak. A small poke behind the sheet rock revealed wet insulation. Our workers ripped off the drywall and exposed a four-foot by five-foot wet area laced with black mold—toxic mold, as I’d soon learn.
After the discovery, the workers left for the weekend. I asked if it were safe of us to stay in the house. “Oh, yeah, you’ll be fine. We’ll be back on Monday,” they assured me. They were wrong.Continue Reading