If you want better and deeper relationships, become a five-star listener. A good listener hears more than facts; they pick up on the real issues.
A big help in listening well to others is listening well to God. Listening to God puts us in a position to care for and meaningfully engage with others.A good listener hears more than facts; they pick up on the real issues. #listener, #RefreshingFaith Click To Tweet
A Simple Way to Listen to God
The most meaningful times I had with my dad in our family grocery store weren’t the times he gave me assignments but the times he told me about himself. God wants to share Himself with us too.
- Read a short section from the Bible.Choose a translation of the Bible that you enjoy and understand. Devotional books or talks can inspire and provide insights. Yet, there is nothing like receiving the pure thoughts God has for us.
- Reflect on the thoughts or themes that stand out from your reading.Ask God what He wants you to take away from His words. When I do this, He brings thoughts to me. God wants me to know and be close to Him not just to know what I should be doing for Him.As I was reading Luke 6:1-11, the account where the Pharisees criticized Jesus for breaking the Sabbath because He allowed His disciples to pluck grain for food and restored a man’s hand, I was struck by how much Jesus cares for people and their needs. That means Jesus cares about me and my I can trust Him to supply our needs. I hope you will develop the habit of listening to Him and receive the wonderful things He wants to tell you.
- Many I talk with face relationship challenges of discerning the difference between being supportive and being enabling.
- A young boy from a broken home has changed directions and is applying himself in school.
- A young man who’s lost his family is discovering who Jesus is.
- Debbie’s book Little Faith, Big God is available for preorder. If you’re interested in leading a group with this book, contact her. She will be offering resources for discussion leaders.
Special friends of Lighthouse are providing a $20,000 matching gift for new gifts given to Lighthouse by December 31, 2019. This is a wonderful opportunity to provide help to those in life’s storms. We appreciate you considering this special opportunity.